Author Topic: How to delete dupes?  (Read 59528 times)

How to delete dupes?
« on: February 06, 2010, 12:44:45 »
Your software does a great job of i.d.-ing the duplicates.  Could someone please clarify how to keep a file while dumping its three duplicates?  I went to the results page and had just under a thousand duplicates.  I choose one to clean up and it put all of that file's copies along with the one i wanted to keep in the trash.

Any suggestions ?  Thanks.

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • https://www.smilarityapp.com
How to delete dupes?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 23:03:04 »
I don't fully understand what do you mean, Similarity can show in results tab several times one file in different groups, tahn you delete it remove it from each group.

How to delete dupes?
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 18:13:34 »
Yes, i agree, your software does a good job of finding the duplicate files but does a poor job of explaining how to delete them.

I think you need to develop an automatic feature in your software that targets all but ONE file for deletion. THen provide a DELETE BUTTON for the USER to push to delete all the EXTRA files.

This is a simple but profound suggestion for your software. You need to FOCUS your ATTENTION on ENABLING the USER to EASILY and QUICKLY DELETE all the DUPLICATE files your software found.

THis will make your software a complete solution. Because as it stands now, your software is an INCOMPLETE program.

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
How to delete dupes?
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 18:28:00 »
this is will be implemented in future versions

Flying piggy

How to delete dupes?
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 15:28:21 »
i have to agree - if all this does is come up with a list and show you how many you have thats a frustratingly bad thing! I dont want to be manually going through thousands of entries do i?

For me Ive just started and so far i am at 456 dupes. If i could just grab the best one of each and stick it in a single folder with one click - thats whats required..

How to delete dupes?
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 17:51:30 »
Remember:  K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid)

Best post of all copied below.
>You need to FOCUS your ATTENTION on ENABLING the USER to EASILY and QUICKLY DELETE >all the DUPLICATE files your software found.

How to delete dupes?
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 07:29:03 »
He he guys, give the Admin some credit here! He's offering us a fantastic program for free, I think he (or she) deserves some respect. I agree with your points, but be a bit nicer, please.

Therefore: Admin, your software is very good at finding duplicates indeed, and it would be very nice if you could incorporate some 'delete'-button that deletes all the copies, and keeps the original. Especially for those who have huge mp3-colections, like me. And to make it even better, it would be nice if the user would have a say in which original file to keep, for example the one with the highest audio-quality (highest bitrate), or maybe others prefer to keep the smallest filesize (to save as much discspace as possible).

Have a look at DoubleKiller, a program from Big Bang Enterprises. It's comparison methods are definately not as good as yours, but it's way of selecting which files to delete is easy.

Thanks again for your great program, and I am looking forward to an update that makes the selection of files to delete easier.

Abbe

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
How to delete dupes?
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 19:10:42 »
ok, ok we think how better intgrate this mechanism.

dschowa

How to delete dupes?
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 12:45:36 »
i hop it

HEILANDER

How to delete dupes?
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 05:55:17 »
Ok it finds the duplicates ,but what is the purpose of the BOLD line????
the 1 you remove or the 1 you keep

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
How to delete dupes?
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 18:21:29 »
HEILANDER
in results tab the bold line marks the central group file, it's not mean anything, it's for grouping purpose (ex. 3 files similar to master file but they not similar each other)

peanut gallery

How to delete dupes?
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 15:55:01 »
Herein lies the trouble: how to tell the program which is the dupe?   And if there are dupes-- which to keep (like 'highest quality' for example.

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
How to delete dupes?
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 05:03:29 »
peanut gallery
in current versions only manual, in future we add some things to show best.

ben

How to delete dupes?
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 10:13:23 »
I wait for the update, succes admin

pureride

How to delete dupes?
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 18:48:41 »
Complete;ly agree with the above users.  I came to this site after downloading similarity earlier today and now I have this list of songs and other mida files that are dupes on my cimputer.  Great, thanks for letting me know I have dupes now what are you going to do about it!

Sort of misleading.  I figured there would be a "fix" button.  Or "remove duplicates".

Will continue my search.