Author Topic: Great Program with just one Annoyance so far  (Read 10638 times)

Old Man Mike

• View Profile
Great Program with just one Annoyance so far
« on: December 20, 2014, 12:00:20 »
First, hats off to the programmers.  I've been looking for a program like this for years and was constantly surprised that no one had used FFTs and signal processing techniques to provide a quality metric of a music file instead of just using the bit rate.  However, I do question that a 128 kbs file and even a 160 kbs file (not vbr) can be evaluated as 100% for a quality metric.  I can certainly hear a degradation in quality at 128 kbs and sometimes 160 kbs compared to the original.  It would seem that even if all the basic metrics such as clipping and spectral roll off are good, any 128 kbs file should be rated at less than 100%.  Perhaps 99% maximum for 160 kbs encoding and 98% maximum for 128 kbs encoding would be appropriate if all the other metrics are good.

Thanks,
Mike

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • https://www.smilarityapp.com
Re: Great Program with just one Annoyance so far
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 21:39:47 »
Sorry for the delay, yes rating calculating method very strict in current version. But with new 2.0 version you can write you own rating method and almost don't loose anything in speed due to javascript, because most time consuming process in analysis is processing file and calculating base values, not a rating. You can see current rating method in analysis.js sample.