Author Topic: Next line automatically  (Read 78111 times)

dalmas64

• View Profile
Next line automatically
« on: March 21, 2008, 14:48:17 »
After deleting a duplicate file the program doesn't go to the next line, and sometimes we click in a wrong one.
It is possible to use the arrows keys of the keyboard, but when we go to another window this option doesn't work.

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • https://www.smilarityapp.com
Next line automatically
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 12:43:09 »
thanks, for comment, i shall look that can be done.

StanleyTweedle

• View Profile
    • http://last.fm/music/e-nation
Next line automatically
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 06:11:19 »
I do not understand precisely what dalmas64 intends in the second sentence, but I think I get the other bit (if not... sorry about that!).

Similarity already has a smartly designed GUI, targeted toward enhancing human productivity by eliminating unnecessary calls to context menus-- for it is quite convenient to use only a single click on the "Red X" Delete button (or the "Speaker" to play an item) -- however, currently (in my version, 0.71 build 99) the user must click on the duplicates list after each deletion, to ready another duplicate set for evaluation.

Respectfully, I do hope the admirable developer(s) of Similarity will consider this issue worthy of closer inspection. Please continue reading, as I shall try to explain my experience of interacting with the software, in hopes to better illustrate why it is important that Similarity could be configured to (as an option) automatically "select one duplicate set" for focus at all times.

If Similarity could take care of an extra click for the user, a duplicates deletion job could nearly be slashed in half: ideally, so the user would need only focus on what is the current Left file, and Right file-- the goal being to elimanate the need to delete, then select, then delete again, then select, etc., constantly requiring users to perform a different activity.

If the user could keep his or her eyes trained on one particular screen area, as a managed task, the deletion rate could only increase, ultimately to result in an even more remarkable gain in efficiency when using Similarity Mp3 Duplicate detection.

I am confident, if Similarity would (as an option, or as default) focus "one duplicate-set beyond" the "currently queued deleting set", I would realize a sizable difference in the actual effort required to complete the job.

For users who prefer keyboard interaction, instead of clicking things with the mouse, perhaps this sort of auto-advance might allow for Similarity to be manipulated easily without a mouse. I admit, the initiative to write in the forum is not entirely without the encouragement from an aching mouse-hand, clicking away at all of my duplicates!  ;-)

Thanks again for the great software. I'm excited to follow Similarity as it matures to resonate an inevitable, positive impact on digital media enthusiasts.

Anonymous

Next line automatically
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 01:05:19 »
The v. 0.71 is crashing the windows XP after some minutes of scan.
And the "next line automatically" is still waiting.
dalmas64

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • https://www.smilarityapp.com
Next line automatically
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 18:36:35 »
can you explain more detailed, maybe it's crash on some file ?

StanleyTweedle

• View Profile
    • http://last.fm/music/e-nation
Next line automatically
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 12:38:38 »
Geez, dalmas64, thanks for "highjacking" the thread. hehe... just kidding! ;-)

anyway-- i wish to update my previous comment.

I still believe that there is a potential advantage to having Similarity "auto-select" a "next item"-- but here's the important point which I didn't realize existed when I posted on Feb 10 (above):
This sort of "auto-select" or bringing to focus the "next-line", as the original poster suggests, is only applicable; relevant to those of us who are using Similarity to delete files in a "one-at-a-time" manner.

To better understand, the reader must be aware that Similarity offers a sort of "Batch Deletion", per the option to "Delete Marked". The very name of the command suggests that more than one item may be marked at any given time, but it wasn't until several days ago that I realized precisely how to "mark" more than one duplicate set-- such that, selecting "Delete Marked" will delete, not one duplicate, but several sets of duplicates marked by the user.

How are several sets marked, so clicking "Delete Marked" will process a batch of files? The action requires selecting a small "checkmark" icon, which is present on every line of every file, in both columns. Clicking the icon changes it from a "ghost" icon, to a solid icon, indicating the item is "marked" for deletion. Following a process of checking several known duplicate items, then finally clicking the "Delete Marked" option from the file menu will result in a batch-deletion.

Upon my realization of the GUI available options (previously unrecognized), a new perspective on the functionality of Similarity is revealed, thus revealing a greater insight-- at least for this user-- into the developer's intended use for Similarity.

I'm pleased to have discovered how to properly enable multiple-selections in Similarity. Properly utilizing the feature does indeed offer greater efficiency in a batch deletion job. However, due to the procedure I've developed, and settled into using for effective, confident deletion of my own media library duplicates, (a process explained in the thread  www . music-similarity . com / forum / index.php ? action = vthread &forum = 3&topic = 61 ), I have become accustomed to deleting files one-at-a-time (hence, my wishlist, as explained on Feb 10).

Thanks for reading!

[EDIT] as URL's are prohibited, for spam prevention, the "url" listed above is very separated, so the reader who tries visting that URL must re-join the string of characters (sorry for the confusion!)

allenflame

• View Profile
Next line automatically
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 21:14:57 »
I'd love for the program to go to the next line after I select one.  Down, space, down, space gets old.

Thanks