General Category > Wishlist

Tag Merging

(1/3) > >>

Zach:
I am pretty impressed with the fucntionality of this software, and I'm eager to pull the trigger and purchase the pro version, but there is one issue that is a blocker for me.  If I have the same song in 2 different places on my hard drive because, for example, it was on multiple albums, and I want to delete the duplicates, then i want the tags to be updated accordingly.  My understanding (although i'm no expert on audio file formats) is that IDv3 v2.4 supports multiple values for each field.  If the tags could be merged and stored into the one file that I do keep, I would buy the software instantly. 

Problem is, I don't want to pull the trigger and delete all my duplicates as it stands, because then I will lose all the information about the other albums which the songs come from. 

Does this feature make sense?  Would it be difficult to implement?

Admin:
Do you mean to merge tag values before deleting duplicates ?

kherova:
That would be a nice feature, if the song to be deleted had a more complete tag information set (or embedded artwork), to merge before deleting.  Also, I know sometimes you have info in an ID3v1 tag that isn't in the ID3v2 or vica versa to consider.

Admin:
We planning extend tag features on future (like pictures loading) but tags merging will be not automated, user must select them himself.

hsei:
I agree that fully automatic tag merging could be a dangerous feature, but a little more automatism would be helpful. Overwriting empty fields e.g. would be a reasonable choice. Another option could be to preselect direction of replacement between groups. When you have a large carefully edited collection and you just want to replace some songs with others of better quality, that would be helpful. A very desireable option in such cases would be the possibility to switch songs between two groups (directories) after merging/replacing tags. At the moment this is a rather tedious procedure (edit - select - copy all - apply - move). Especially the "move to directory"-feature could be enriched by a switch or replace option.
The topic here is very similar to thread "Automatically complete id3 tags"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version