Author Topic: Tag Merging  (Read 35896 times)

Zach

Tag Merging
« on: March 25, 2011, 22:17:51 »
I am pretty impressed with the fucntionality of this software, and I'm eager to pull the trigger and purchase the pro version, but there is one issue that is a blocker for me.  If I have the same song in 2 different places on my hard drive because, for example, it was on multiple albums, and I want to delete the duplicates, then i want the tags to be updated accordingly.  My understanding (although i'm no expert on audio file formats) is that IDv3 v2.4 supports multiple values for each field.  If the tags could be merged and stored into the one file that I do keep, I would buy the software instantly. 

Problem is, I don't want to pull the trigger and delete all my duplicates as it stands, because then I will lose all the information about the other albums which the songs come from. 

Does this feature make sense?  Would it be difficult to implement?

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • https://www.smilarityapp.com
Re: Tag Merging
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 08:00:44 »
Do you mean to merge tag values before deleting duplicates ?

kherova

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 21:16:46 »
That would be a nice feature, if the song to be deleted had a more complete tag information set (or embedded artwork), to merge before deleting.  Also, I know sometimes you have info in an ID3v1 tag that isn't in the ID3v2 or vica versa to consider.

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 19:15:53 »
We planning extend tag features on future (like pictures loading) but tags merging will be not automated, user must select them himself.

hsei

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 15:45:15 »
I agree that fully automatic tag merging could be a dangerous feature, but a little more automatism would be helpful. Overwriting empty fields e.g. would be a reasonable choice. Another option could be to preselect direction of replacement between groups. When you have a large carefully edited collection and you just want to replace some songs with others of better quality, that would be helpful. A very desireable option in such cases would be the possibility to switch songs between two groups (directories) after merging/replacing tags. At the moment this is a rather tedious procedure (edit - select - copy all - apply - move). Especially the "move to directory"-feature could be enriched by a switch or replace option.
The topic here is very similar to thread "Automatically complete id3 tags"
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 15:51:54 by hsei »

mitul

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 19:03:44 »
I would like an option in Option window that would allow me to keep the tags from the song which has more ID3v2 tags.

It would automate little bit so if I choose to select that option then compare the number of ID3 tags available in the song that I am keeping vs the songs that I am deleting. If one of the song that I am deleting has more ID3 tags then I would want to overwrite the tags in the song that I am keeping and then marge (fill the missing ID3 tags) tags from rest of the songs.

For example if I have 4 songs in a group and I am keeping #1 and #3 has most number of ID3 tags (ID3 frames) then I would want to overwrite the ID3 tags on #1 from #3 and then look in to #2 and #4 and see if they have any other ID3 tag that is not present in #1.

I am currently doing this using the program I wrote in VB.Net and using TagLib# library (github.com/mono/taglib-sharp).

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 18:40:01 »
Yes, we implement such feature in future.

TKW

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 16:39:12 »
Hi,
just a proposal on this matter.
Add an additional column in the "results: audio" view which is indicating the "master tag" of a group. By default this should be empty. If one of the files of a group is selected then on the processing the others will receive the tags from this file (even if it is about to be deleted).

l212

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 05:33:52 »

I need Similarity, when the other files are of higher bitrate or (better in general) from my base files (Group A),

to suggest me to AutoReplace the worst Files, merging all the Tags and Custom Tags of the old files to the new ones, so that I don't have any problems when using my media manager (JRiver) again. I need my playlists intact.

I have also created some custom tags to my songs. I need to be able to keep them too in the newly added songs.

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 06:33:10 by l212 »

l212

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 17:19:51 »
For now I will move the new-better quality "duplicated" files to another folder, until I will be able to merge the tags and really replace my old songs in that way.

I also can't just delete my old files because I have over 300 hundred playlists that will be unusable, unless the deleted files will be replaced by a shortcut to the new file.

The thing is that if the program can do those two things, I will be able to really delete-replace the duplicates of my database.

Until then Similarity just helps me find the duplicated files, but not really remove the worst duplicated files.

Thank you for all the effort you have put in this software. I believe that soon it will be really handy to all of us!

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 00:05:18 »
thanks for your message we thin about solution

l212

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014, 07:36:43 »

I have a database that constists of more than 90.000 songs with more than 300 playlists organised through Jriver.

If you need help testing such features, I would be glad to help you out.