Author Topic: 'Play' button seems to do nothing  (Read 21209 times)

dal987

• View Profile
'Play' button seems to do nothing
« on: June 21, 2009, 15:37:30 »
Hi, Good match algorithm, but the 'play' button doesn't appear to do anything on my PC.

mp3's and most audio files open by default in VLC player.
Tried with both English and unicode (Chinese) file names.

Vista Home Premium 32 bit.

Hope there's a simple answer..

Thanks.

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • https://www.smilarityapp.com
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 15:48:46 »
Play button do as same thing as Explorer double-click, must start you default player (winamp, foobar, WMP). But if this format doesn't playable in your player, it do nothing.
PS. We going to integrate small simple player in future, that can play without external player.

AVS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 17:16:58 »
Admin

Эти форматы проигрываются в VLC, просто кодеки в нем интегрированные, поэтому когда идет запрос на открытие файла через Similarity, задействуется поиск кодека в Windows, и естественно, без результата.

Как вариант в дополнение к вашему предложению о внедрении плеера для таких пользователей можно сделать меню выбора проигрывателя по умолчанию в настройках программы.

dal987

The matter is VLC player has integrated codecs for decoding audio files. To open initially unsupported audio files in Windows Media player and some other players (therefore in Similarity also as it uses Windows API) external codecs are required to be installed in your system.

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 17:36:34 »
Thanks for the reply:

1st- the files I looked at are mp3 files which will play in Windows Media Player if I specifically open them in it.

2nd- just to confirm, double clicking on them in explorer launches VLC player.

That is, these mp3 files do play in both VLC (default) and WMP.

So is what you are saying that Similarity will always launch Windows Media player, not the default player for the file type?

But if it were to attempt to, it should be able to play them... so I'm confused...

I have my applications installed in partition D: - not C: - so could Similarity be failing to launch a player because of that?

Thanks..

AVS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 17:54:12 »
Could you try to press "play" button twice (with 1-2 seconds period)? The first time you press it initiate opening in Similarity, the second - in default (possibly WMP) player.

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 19:16:36 »
It seems a problem between VLC player and Similarity.

1. If I set the default association for mp3 to WMP, the Play button works.

2. If I set the   "                "             "     to KM player "       "         "

but

"                "                "              "   to VLC player,
then
     I get a 'no association for this file type' when I click on an mp3 file in Similarity's tree  
     folder/file display
   and
     the Play button does nothing.
   and mp3's do play in VLC player when double clicked in explorer.

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 19:22:07 »
Oh, and Xion player is ok too... it's just VLC...

surbaniak

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 17:17:53 »
Guest:
So is what you are saying that Similarity will always launch Windows Media player, not the default player for the file type?

Both my Vista64 and W2K  installations   launch  Play button  in  WinAmp  (my default)  on this end .... so something specific to your installation.