Author Topic: Scan a folder and compare it with the whole library  (Read 31428 times)

r0lZ

• View Profile
Scan a folder and compare it with the whole library
« on: February 24, 2010, 16:00:40 »
Hi!  I've just discovered your wonderful program, and I like it very much.  However, IMO, an important feature is missing.  It should be possible to scan a folder (for example containing a new album) and to compare it with the (already scanned) rest of the library, without displaying the dupes in the library itself.

The goal is to quickly analyse if the folder you are about to add to your library contains dupes already present in the library.  For example, this feature could be very useful when you add a "best of" compilation but you have already the complete collection of the same artist.  Similarity could easily detect all dupes and the user will be able to keep only the "previously unreleased" songs from the compilation.

Also, I would like to be able to call Similarity from the command line, to tell it to scan the folder or a single song, and to compare it with the library.  That way, Similarity will be easily integrated with any good player such as Foobar2000 (via its "run service" plugin).  I suggest a syntax such as:
similarity.exe /scan "folder_or_song" /library "base_library_folder"

Anyway, your program is already extremely useful.  Keep up the good work!

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • https://www.smilarityapp.com
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 19:08:31 »
about 1st part we think about this and implement in near future,
second will be implemented on next versions (1, 2 releases)

r0lZ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 23:26:35 »
Thanks very much!

BTW, I have scanned my whole library (about 20000 tracks), with the experimental scan enabled, and Similarity did the job very well.  It took a long time, but it has finished without any error.  Phelix crashed after one hour or so with an out of memory error, and Audio Comparer froze at the end of the scan!  Once again, the free tool is better!  Thanks again!

Dingo

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 21:42:41 »
I came back to the forums to suggest #1 above - guess I don't need to now :)

I thought that it might be easier to have a configuration under the "folders" tab so you can choose to compare files within that folder or not, a checkbox.  That way you can choose two folders and ONLY compare files BETWEEN the two folders, not inside it.  I have pretty much every album from Black Sabbath (and Enya, and Bauhaus and more, and yes, my tastes vary), so I obviously have duplicates in my master music library.

I'll use what I was doing as an example - I had a corrupt media library spanning back almost 15 years.  Some of the files were fine, others were trashed (bits of song files got mixed together, don't ask how, suffice to say it had to do with firewire, external drives, and mac/pc issues 6 years ago).  I've fixed my media library, but have a folder of over 1000 individual tracks which I suspect are in my master library already.

For folders, I chose
1) master library top-level folder
2) folder with 1000+ individual tracks

What I wanted to do was compare folder #2 to folder #1 and eliminate the duplicates in folder #2.  

What I got was every duplicate from every folder.  Every pink floyd duplicate across multiple albums.  Every Black Sabbath duplicate across... you get the idea.  

So yes, this is a feature that would be EXTREMELY helpful :)

And like r0lZ said, such a great piece of software so far!  5/5 stars as-is, can't wait to see what comes next!

Dingo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 23:18:46 »
Off-topic, admin, would you please attach the posts I've made today to this account if possible?  Thank you.

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 05:54:01 »
Dingo
Yes, I understand you position, we think about realisation.

Ph0X

• View Profile
    • http://www.ehsankia.com
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 23:38:05 »
I came here to give the same suggestion, but my reasons seem to be different.

It would be great if there was a way to scan one song, then compare it to my library.
The use of this would be for ID'ing songs. I'd use it for when I have a song in a video or somewhere that I don't know the name of, but I'm certain of having heard it before, and might have it in my huge library.

I'd compare it to my music library and see if any of my songs match it, therefore finding it's name.

mikypilot

• View Profile
Re: Scan a folder and compare it with the whole library
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 09:43:56 »
r0lZ and Dingo's wishes are "Must have", not for nothing this thread had 6.600 views.
Adding this features Similarity will be the best !   ;)
Anyway, your program is great ! Thanks for that.
Regards.

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Scan a folder and compare it with the whole library
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 20:18:30 »
we already have solution for comparing old library with new ones, just use folder groups, please, read (Tutorial Part 2). Similarity doesn't have command line feature yet.