Author Topic: (1) duplicate _folders; (2) drag+drop into other application  (Read 13465 times)

AntiBotQuestion

• View Profile
I just started to play around with and evaluate a few deduplication applications (thus far Similarity seems to be at least in top-2 if not in top-1 :-) ) so I hope I don't make a fool out of myself asking for something which is actually supported in the premium version.

(1) I wish for a grouping of duplicate folders (with an option to choose "all music matching", "all pictures matching" and both) which tells me if folder1 and folder2 contain all the same audio.
Those could e.g. be highlighted in different colour, put on top when sorted by match, or something like that.
Also an option to tell me if folder1 contains everything folder2 does (and possibly some); that could tilt the scales as of which one to keep.

(2) I would like to be able to drag files from Similarity over to an application of my choice (like if it were an Explorer window).
(E.g. a tagger like mp3tag, or an integrity verifier like audiotester.exe or a different media player.)

To push (2) further, I would like an option to drag files from Similarity where the entire folders are dumped into the other application. For example, Similarity matches and groups together file c:\folderX\song07.mp3 with c:\folderY\song06.m4a , and I drag that group over to a media player to get displayed the entire folders' contents.

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • https://www.smilarityapp.com
Re: (1) duplicate _folders; (2) drag+drop into other application
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 16:06:56 »
Sorry for the delay.
1) You can use folder groups for comparing exact groups (ie. new an old one)
2) We implement in future drag & drop.

vivid

• View Profile
Re: (1) duplicate _folders; (2) drag+drop into other application
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 14:47:22 »
I've been a premium user of Similarity for years now. It is really worth the money if you have a big audio collection like me. The program is fantastic at what it does but it lacked a convenient folder comparison in my opinion. So, a friend of mine wrote this program for me some years ago:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OmSOvvzu4VtczVa_3BbP79gPvZyT7WJV/view?usp=sharing

What it does is it reads an HTML export from Similarity and then it calculates a percentage of how alike folders are when it comes to music files. You have to click "open dupes report" and select an HTML file exported from Similarity, click on the tab "dupes by folder" and click the button "check duplicity %". It will calculate similar folders and it will show a percentage that you can order by clicking on the "%" sign. You have also a textbox that will allow you to filter specific paths, so that you can search duplicate folders and files only within a folder.

If you double click on any of the pairs or if you press "Shift+Enter" it will open two explorers so that you can see the folders yourself in case you want to check something, delete, etc.

If you've already deleted some folders you can then click con "Verify files presence" so that you can save an updated HTML file that gets rid of files that are no longer there.

The program is a little buggy but I've been using it for years and I'd really wish the authors of Similarity implemented something alike in their program. My friend would be willing to give you the source code for free if you might need it to save you some time in case you decided to do something similar.

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 15:04:11 by vivid »